Canadian Meds |
Policy | Legal
Terms | Meds Index
Azathioprine is an immunosuppressive remedy of the broad-spectrum pharmacological action.
The immunosuppressive action is characterized by the disorder of synthesis of immunoglobulin, appearance of atypical phagocytes in the blood and, after all, suppression of the cellular-mediated reactions of hypersensitivity. In other words, this drug suppresses the growth and development of cells of the immune system, reduces the intensity of the autoimmune inflammatory reactions directed against their own organs and tissues.
In case of transplantation of the organs this helps to reduce a risk of the inadequate perception of the new, unknown organ by the body.
The pharmacological effect of Azathioprine is used in medicine for:
- Prevention of the rejection during transplantation of the internals
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Chronic active hepatitis
- Nodular periarteritis
- Crohnís disease
- Reiterís syndrome
- And it is also prescribed at inefficiency of glucocorticosteroids or their individual intolerance
However, the positive pharmacological action is observed in the optimal dose. At the high doses there is an oppression of the functions of the bone marrow, and also possible appearance of severe disorders.
The use of Azathioprine should be controlled by the qualified medical specialist, or made after the complete medical consultation.
The dosage is prescribed individually taking into account of the indications, severity of the course of the disease, and dosage of the prescribed drugs at the same time.
In case of transplantation of the internals patients are prescribed the main dose of 5 mg/kg of the body weight 2-3 times within 1-2 months. Then the dose should be reduced up to the maintaining one: 1-4 mg/kg of the weight within a long period of time. The use of Azathioprine at the transplantation may continue up to several days.
In other cases, the drug is prescribed 1-2,5 mg/kg per day divided into several uses. The length of the course is prescribed individually.
- The use of Azathioprine is contraindicated during pregnancy, hepatic failure, individual intolerance of the active components of the drug, thrombocytopenia, and lymphopenia
- This drug is strictly prohibited for children under 18 years old
- During lactation it is necessary to use the bottle feeding of a child and refuse from the breast-feeding by the breast milk
- The weekly control of the image of the peripheral blood is indicated within the first 8 weeks
© 2003-2017 Rx Meds Canada . All Rights Reserved