Canadian Meds |
Policy | Legal
Terms | Meds Index
Cephalexin is a modern antibiotic which is used for the treatment of most infectious diseases. This antibiotic is active at the treatment of gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms. It means that the medication can be prescribed even at the severest infections which are caused by such bacteria as salmonella, staphylococcus etc.
Indications for the use of Cephalexin:
- infections of the respiratory tract (bronchitis, pneumonia)
- infections of the urogenital system (cystitis, urethritis, prostatitis, vaginitis)
- infections of the skin (abscess, furunculosis)
- infection of the HENT organs (pharyngitis, sinusitis, sore throat)
This antibiotic has a bactericidal action. Penetrating inside the infected cell the active components of the drug inhibit the growth and development of microorganisms, and they also destroy a wall of the infected cell. Destroying the infected cell from the inside the antibiotic quickly reduces the disease symptoms and regulates general health condition of a patient. Showing a wide-spectrum action Cephalexin can treat two infectious diseases of different level of severity at once. Due to such strong effect of the drug the majority of doctors all around the world prescribe this antibiotic.
Before using the antibiotic it is necessary to consult a health care provider who will detect the cause of the disease and will be able to prescribe you the most effective and safest course of the treatment. In every clinical case, the dosage of the drug and duration of the usage depend only on personal peculiarities of the patientís body.
The average dose of Cephalexin for adults from which the treatment should be started is 250-500 mg every 6-12 hours depending on the severity of the disease and assimilation of the antibiotic. If necessary the daily dosage can be increased up to 4-6 g, however, the increase of the dosage must be under medical supervision. The highest daily dose is 6 g.
Children are prescribed individual dosage which is calculated by the childís weight.
The antibiotic tablets must be taken about 30-60 minutes before food intake. At the infectious diseases of the middle severity the duration of the antibiotic usage is approximately 8-10 days.
- If you have allergy to Cephalexin, the usage of the antibiotic is prohibited as it may cause the side effects
- The use of the drug by children aged up to 3 years is not tested, and therefore the use of this antibiotic is not recommended by this aged group
- During pregnancy or breast-feeding Cephalexin can be taken only in case when the benefit of the usage is more than the chance for fetus. In these cases, a child should be on the bottle-feeding.
© 2003-2017 Rx Meds Canada . All Rights Reserved