Canadian Meds |
Policy | Legal
Terms | Meds Index
Dulcolax is a strong laxative which does not provide the positive medical effect to the organs of the gastrointestinal tract and intestine as well. The mechanism of the action of this drug is directed at the irritation of the receptor apparatus of the gut, and as a result of this there is a direct effect on the mucous coat of the intestine. As a result there is an increase of the peristalsis and secretion of the mucus in the large intestine.
If we consider the mechanism of the action of this laxative more simply Dulcolax stimulates the nervous endings in the mucous coat of the large intestine and causes voiding.
After taking one tablet the laxative action occurs in about 6 hours. In rare cases, during chronic constipation the pharmacological effect may occur in 8-10 hours.
Indications for the use:
- hypotonic and atonic constipations
- constipations in senior people, after surgery, childbirth of women
- regulation of stool (haemorrhoids, proctitis, cracks of anus)
- preparations for the surgery, instrumental and roentgenologic studies
It is not effective to take this medical product for the treatment of the constipations and restoration of the intestine functions as it is indicated to the single effect and does not have a healing effect.
The tablets of Dulcolax must be taken orally before going bed or 30 minutes before breakfast. Using the drug before going bed the onset of the pharmacological effect slows down for 2-3 hours usually.
- the average dosage is 5-15 mg for adults and children over 14 years old
- children at the age of 2-7 years take 5 mg, and children at the age of 8-14 years take 5-10 mg
- it is necessary to carefully follow the correctness of the taken dose because the improper use may cause some side effects
- the maximal term of the administration of this drug is 7 days. Consult a doctor for the longer use of this medication
- Contraindications for the use: bowel obstruction, increased sensitivity to bisacodyl or auxiliary components, acute inflammatory diseases of the intestine, constricted hernia, peritonitis, bleedings from the gastrointestinal tract, and acute piles
- Children under 4 years old are not recommended this medication
- Pregnant women are prescribed this remedy only in emergency
- If the daily dose is not followed and increased, there may be diarrhea, lowering of the arterial pressure, muscle weakness, stomachache, tympany, and allergic reactions.
© 2003-2017 Rx Meds Canada . All Rights Reserved