Canadian Meds |
Policy | Legal
Terms | Meds Index
For patients who are diagnosed with tuberculosis, your doctor may prescribe you to use Ethionamide in the combination with other meds. Its necessary to keep taking it during the entire treatment to clear up tuberculosis even if you feel much better, because missing doses is a very bad idea.
This medication is available in tablets and can be bought only with prescription. Doctors may prescribe it to those patients who have leprosy and atypical mycobacterial infections too.
- You can take this medication both with and without meals, but make this decision according to the fact if it upsets your stomach or not.
- Your treatment may take 1-2 years, and this means that you need to take Ethionamide on a daily basis without missing any doses.
- Your physician may ask you to take pyridoxine along with this med to prevent or reduce its adverse effects.
- The right dosage is different for all patients, and thats why you should follow your doctor's instructions and read all directions on the label. The amount you must take depends on a few important factors, such as Ethionamide strength, the number of daily doses, the period between them, and so on. For example, teens and adults should take 250 mg every 8-12 hours with other meds to treat tuberculosis, and childrens dose depends on their body weight, but the usual one is 4-5 mg per kg that must be taken every 8 hours. Its not allowed to double the dose, and if you miss one, take it as soon as you can.
Contraindications and Precautions
Interested in drug interactions when taking Ethionamide Keep in mind that some medications shouldnt be taken together with it at all, but sometimes your doctor may prescribe to use them together even if there is a risk of interactions (make sure that your dose is adjusted accordingly or the necessary precautions are taken).
You need to provide your physician with a full list of all other meds that you take to avoid dangerous situations, especially when it comes to Rifampin and Pyrazinamide, because this combination increases the risk of experiencing unpleasant side effects.
Besides, there are other precautions that should be taken, such as the necessity to avoid certain food products when using Ethionamide because of possible interactions. Dont smoke and drink alcohol if you want to get the most out of your tuberculosis treatment.
Remember that the presence of other health conditions may affect the effectiveness of this medication, so make sure you inform your doctor about them all, especially if you have:
- Diabetes (because this disease is harder to control when taking Ethionamide).
- Liver problems if they are severe (because your chances of experiencing adverse effects increase considerably).
Along with beneficial results and treating patients, the intake of Ethionamide may cause certain adverse effects, just like all other meds. You should inform your healthcare provider about them at once because some of them may need proper medical attention. The good news is that most of these side effects are mild, which include nausea, headaches, vomiting, dizziness and others, and they dont need any special medical attention. They may pass during your further treatment because your body needs to adjust to Ethionamide, or your doctor will adjust your dose accordingly. If any of these symptoms are bothersome and continue, talk about the necessary changes in your tuberculosis treatment. If you experience swelling, breathing difficulty and other similar symptoms, they may say about possible allergic reactions and require immediate medical help.
© 2003-2017 Rx Meds Canada . All Rights Reserved