Canadian Meds |
Policy | Legal
Terms | Meds Index
Anticholinesterase drugs are widely used in various fields of clinical medicine. In anesthesiology they apply for decurarization, as well as to carry out the central segmental blockades. Recently, along with the most commonly used neostigmine, doctors again started to use well-known earlier Galantamine.
What is Galantamine and its benefits?
- This remedy is a leader in fight against degenerative and functional disorders of the central and peripheral nervous system;
- Galantamine - not having safe competitors antidote for poisoning by anticholinergic agents actions;
- This is a drug with minimal risk of side effects with gradually increasing doses;
- Wide range of indications;
- Easy for use;
- Has proven therapeutic efficacy;
- Has no side effects and very well tolerated by all patients.
Galantamine properties and mechanism of drug action
Galantamine is a drug from the group of indirect action parasympathicomimetic. It is an active reversible inhibitor of acetylcholinesterase, which stimulates nicotinic receptors and increases the sensitivity of the postsynaptic membrane to acetylcholine the right way.
Besides, the drug facilitates the conduction of excitation in the neuromuscular synapses and restores conductivity at its blockade of non-depolarizing neuromuscular blockers.
Galantamine penetrates the blood-brain barrier pulses and enhances CNS excitation processes.
It acts as an antagonist against the overwhelming influence of morphine and its structural analogs on the respiratory center.
Indications for Galantamine use
The drug is widely used in different medical spheres. Letís see the most widespread among them.
The efficacy of Galantamine in neurology:
- weakly to moderately severe dementia of the Alzheimer type (only tablet form);
- diseases of the peripheral nervous system (polyradiculitis, radiculoneuritis, optic neuritis, polyneuritis, polyneuropathy);
- conditions, associated with lesions of the anterior horns of the spinal cord (post-polio myelitis, spinal muscular atrophy);
- cerebral palsy (brain condition after stroke, cerebral palsy);
- violations of the neuromuscular synapse (myasthenia gravis, muscular dystrophy).
Other areas for Galantamine use include:
Anesthesiology and surgery (ampoules) - to remove the effects of neuromuscular blocking agents for the treatment of postoperative paresis of the small intestine and bladder.
Physical therapy (ampoules) - iontophoretic, neurological damage of the peripheral nervous system, enuresis nocturna.
Toxicology (ampoules) - anticholinergic poisoning.
Contraindications to the use of Galantamine
Like all other drugs, this one also has precautions, which should know every patient before application.
- Hypersensitivity to the active substance of galanthamine hydrobromide or any additional substance of the drug;
- Severe renal impairment (creatinine clearance below 10 ml / min);
- Severe hepatic insufficiency (grade 10-15 on Child-Plough);
- Bronchial asthma;
- AV block;
- Angina pectoris;
- Severe heart failure (III-IV Group NYHA);
Who can recommend and prescribe Galantamine?
Galantamine drug is available according to prescription, which can be given by neurologist or general practitioner, after consultation and diagnosis.
General practitioners rarely initiate treatment and you should likely follow the instructions of neurologist.
There is a theoretical possibility of prescribing Galantamine by endocrinologists for the treatment of diabetic polyneuropathy and rarely by toxicologists.
© 2003-2017 Rx Meds Canada . All Rights Reserved