Canadian Meds |
Policy | Legal
Terms | Meds Index
Geodon is an antipsychotic drug (neuroleptic) which is used for the treatment of the bipolar illness. Its pharmacological action is conditioned by the binding of the main active component Ziprasidone with chemicals of the brain and change of their concentration. After reaching the body the drug connects with dopamine and serotonin receptors and reduces their reaction to the natural signals of the body. The inhibition of these receptors reduces the emotional instability and regulates the work of the brain.
Due to the fast and strong pharmacological action this drug may be used for the treatment and prophylaxis of schizophrenia and alike mental disorders, and also for the arresting of the psychomotor agitation in patients with schizophrenia.
In comparison with other drugs of the identical action Geodon is relatively safe because the frequency and intensity of the side effect of this medical product are rather low.
- Geodon tablets should be taken orally during food intake.
- The recommended dose for adults is 40 mg 2 times a day.
- The maximal daily dose is 160 mg (80 mg 2 times/day).
- It is recommended to take the maximal dose for a short period of time because this may cause a strong reaction of the central nervous system.
- To prevent and maintain the clinical state the dosage is selected individually depending on the sensitivity of the patient to the medication, and also efficiency of therapy.
Patients who have slight or moderately expressed disorders of the liver function it is reasonable to reduce the daily dose for better tolerance of the medication. Before the treatment patients are recommended to have a clinical examination in the medical institution. In addition, your doctor will be able to make a correct diagnosis and prescribe the predominant dosage in your clinical case. A self-treatment is not very effective.
- Geodon is contraindicated for the use in case of: recent heart attacks or strokes, heart failure, arrhythmia, increased sensitivity to Ziprasidone or any non-active component of the drug.
- It is better to refuse from the use of this medical product in the period of pregnancy.
- If the use of Geodon is needed during lactation, the breast-feeding must be terminated.
© 2003-2017 Rx Meds Canada . All Rights Reserved