Moduretic (Amiloride Hydrochlorothiazide)
Canadian Meds |
Policy | Legal
Terms | Meds Index
Moduretic is a combined medical product which has a diuretic action and is used to reduce edema and high blood pressure. It contains two active ingredients: hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride hydrochloride. These two diuretics belong to different pharmacological groups which have different mechanism of the action.
Hydrochlorothiazide is a thiazide diuretic of the moderate action. It reduces the absorption of natrium, so that the liquid retention is reduced in the body. This ingredient does not have such a strong action as Furosemide but it does not have a negative action to the body. a therapeutic effect is kept within 10-12 hours, and it is longer in comparison with Furosemide.
Amiloride hydrochloride is one of the safest diuretics on the pharmaceutical market. Its peculiarity is that it increases an excretion of ions of natrium and chlorine and reduces an excretion of potassium. The biggest problem during the use of diuretics is an intense excretion of potassium needed for the normal work of the cardiovascular system. It causes less intense diuretic effect than thiazide diuretics. In combination with hydrochlorothiazide, it reduces a risk of the appearance of hypokalemia and hypomagnesemia.
After the use of a one-time dose of Moduretic, a diuretic effect occurs in 1-1,5 hours and is kept within 12 hours. The maximal excretion of the liquid occurs in about 3-5 hours after the use of Moduretic.
Besides an intense diuretic effect, Moduretic provides hypotensive action. By means of the excretion of the excessive liquid in the body, the load to the cardiovascular system and the blood pressure are lowered.
Indications for the use
- edema syndrome of different genesis: during chronic heart failure, nephrotic syndrome and other renal pathologies
- Arterial hypertension
Usage and doses
Moduretic is produced in pills for the oral use. Every pill contains Amiloride 5 mg and Hydrochlorothiazide 50 mg.
To treat edema syndrome, patients are recommended to take a pill of Moduretic 2 times per day (in the morning and evening). In case of weak diuretic effect, the dose can be increased ty two times and 4 pills of Moduretic is used per day (2 pills in the morning and evening with the interval of 12 hours).
It is contraindicated to take more than 4 pills of Moduretic per day because the overdose can cause serious side effects.
To treat arterial hypertension, patients are recommended to take 1-2 pills of Moduretic per day depending on the disease severity, patientís age, and use of other hypotensive drugs.
- If you are taking any hypotensive drugs, a dose of Moduretic should be lowered
- In case of the acute renal/hepatic failure, the use of Moduretic is contraindicated
- Do not take Moduretic during pancreatic diabetes, anuria, and liver cirrhosis
- The use of this diuretic is contraindicated during the 1 term of the pregnancy. The medicine is allowed in the 2 and 3rd terms but only under doctors control and in urgent cases
- The use of Moduretic (containing thiazide diuretic) may cause acute condition of the gout symptoms, and therefore it is necessary to follow for a patientís health, and treatment should be stopped during the appearance of the relapse
The use of Moduretic in therapeutic doses (not more than 4 pills per day) does not usually cause side effects. In rare cases, patients record the following side effects: headache, weakness, malaise, tachycardia, nausea, diarrhea, thirst, muscle cramps, and pain in joints.
The side effects of Moduretic pass only after the terminated use of the drug and do not cause pathological disorders in the body. If an allergic reaction or other severe side effects appear during the use of Moduretic, the treatment is cancelled.
© 2003-2017 Rx Meds Canada . All Rights Reserved