Canadian Meds |
Policy | Legal
Terms | Meds Index
Pepcid is a medical product which is used for the treatment of the ulcerous affections of the gastrointestinal tract, i.e. esophagus, stomach, and duodenum. This remedy provides a fast pharmacological action and favors a complete healing of the wounds and improvement of the gastrointestinal tract functions.
This drug belongs to the group of medications – H2 receptor histamine receptors. The main pharmacological action appears as a result of the inhibition of the hydrochloric acid secretion both basal (own) and after stimulation with the help of histamine, gastrin or acetylcholine. Also the active components of Pepcid increase pH of the stomach reducing the activity of pepsin (proteoclastic enzyme) in the same way.
The onset of the effect is marked in one hour after the drug consumption. The duration of the action depends on the dose and is from 12 up to 24 hours.
Pepcid is effectively used for the treatment and prophylaxis of any types of the gastric and duodenal ulcers including bleedings, reflux esophagitis, benign tumors of the pancreas in case of the use of the hormonal components which may cause the ulcer of the internal organs
Doses of the drug are selected individually as each patient has an individual image of the disease and clinical condition which may be either light or severe. That is why if the symptoms of the gastric ulcer appear, it is necessary to go to the doctor and have a medical examination.
- Usually, in case of exacerbation of the gastric or duodenal ulcer the drug is prescribed in the dose of 0,04 g once per day before going bed or 0,02 g 2 times per day
- If necessary (severe types of the disease) the daily dose may be increased up to 0,08-0,16 g
- The length of the treatment usually does not exceed 4-8 weeks as ulcers will start to cicatrize after the first month of the use and the disease symptoms disappear.
- However, you can be prescribed the additional preventive therapy which will help to prevent relapses and further manifestations of the disease
- Before taking Pepcid it is necessary to eliminate the presence of the malignancy because the pharmacological action of this drug may conceal the evident signs of the cancer
- The contraindications for the drug usage are pregnancy, period of lactation, pediatric age (under 12 years old), high sensitivity of the body to the active components
- Patients with renal or hepatic failure, or liver cirrhosis take this drug with high caution.
© 2003-2017 Rx Meds Canada . All Rights Reserved