Canadian Meds |
Policy | Legal
Terms | Meds Index
Pravachol is a lipid-lowering medical product. Usually it is prescribed when the top priority measure including diet changes, weight loss and increase of the physical exercises do not lead to the lowering of the cholesterol level and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) in the blood. If your doctor has diagnosed that you have an excessively high level of cholesterol in the blood, this medication is the best way of the fast lowering of the level of these fats in the blood.
The active component, pravastatin, blocks the action of one of the enzymes needed for the production of cholesterol and thus prevents its formation. Furthermore this drug lowers the level of triglycerides and increases the level of high-density lipoproteins (so called “good” cholesterol) which is not dangerous for the body but on the contrary it is useful for its complete functioning.
Nowadays, Pravachol is meant for:
- risk reduction of the development of myocardial infarction
- reduction of the death rate as a result of the cardiovascular diseases
- reduction of the need at surgery of myocardial revascularization
- reduction of the increased concentrations of the general cholesterol and cholesterol of LDL in patients with initial hypercholesterolemia
Before starting the treatment a patient should be prescribed a standard diet for the reduction of the cholesterol level. Also during the treatment a strict dies is needed which will help to increase the action of the drug and quickly reduce the level of fats in the blood.
It is recommended to take the drug according to the prescription which should be prescribed by your doctor. Only in this case you are guaranteed a fast and powerful pharmacological effect.
- tablets of Pravachol are taken orally once per day before going to bed
- the initial dose is 10-20 mg
- if there is no result within 4 weeks, the dose is gradually increased up to 40 mg per day
- the pharmacological effect is observed in 2-4 weeks after using of the drug and kept for a long period of time
- it is recommended to reduce the daily dose by two times in case of the acute liver diseases
- children under 18 years old can take this drug only in case of the emergency
- the use of this medication is contraindicated in case of the hypersensitivity to pravastatin
© 2003-2017 Rx Meds Canada . All Rights Reserved