Canadian Meds |
Policy | Legal
Terms | Meds Index
Stavudine is an antiviral remedy for the treatment of HIV infected patients. As you know, HIV infection destroys the immune system of the body as a result of which even the weakest virus may lead to severe consequences.
This medical product not only helps patients to improve the internal protection and struggle against any virus but also is active as for HIV, i.e. it does not allow this virus to develop and make the patientís condition worse. Stavudine metabolizes in the cells and quickly reaches the needed point. It destroys the synthesis process of the protein of the viral DNA. In one word, this drug provides a direct effect on the inhibition of the nutrients of the morbific cell and thus they stopped being reproduced and developed.
Stavudine is used for the treatment of patients infected by the human immunodeficiency virus, expressed clinical manifestations and inefficiency or intolerance of zidovudine and also other antiretroviral drugs.
This drug is indicated for the use under the supervision of the qualified medical professional. As HIV infection is more complicated for medicine, a self-treatment may worsen the patientís condition and bring serious consequences which will lead to the impossibility of the further therapy.
The dosage and recommendations for the use must be indicated individually depending on the general health condition of the patient and also length of the virus diagnostics.
- Usually a single dose for adults and children the body weight of whose exceeds 30 kg is 30 mg
- Patients with body weight of 60 kg and more are prescribed the daily dose of 40 mg
- The daily dose is divided into two uses, usually with 12-hour break between the uses
- It is advisable to take the drug at leas one hour before eating for the better absorbability
- The length of the consumption is indicated by the doctor individually. Usually it is used for the long-term therapy (up to 2 years)
- Stavudine is contraindicated in the following cases: peripheral neuropathy, severe dysfunctions of liver/kidney, individual intolerance of the active components of the drug
- If the drug should be taken during lactation, the breast feeding must be terminated
- During pregnancy this drug may be taken only provided that the expected benefit of the treatment exceeds the risk for the fetus
- In case of the disease progression the adjustment of the retroviral therapy is needed.
© 2003-2017 Rx Meds Canada . All Rights Reserved