Canadian Meds |
Policy | Legal
Terms | Meds Index
Verapamil is used for the treatment of the diseases of the cardiovascular system. It has an antianginal, antiarrhythmic and hypotensive action. The main pharmacological properties of the drug are conditioned by its ability to prevent the entry of the calcium ions to cardiomyocytes and smooth muscles of the vascular wall through the slow calcium channel of the membrane.
The active components quickly neutralize the cause of the disease and improve the function of the cardiovascular system. They reduce a necessity of myocardium in oxygen by means of the reduction of myocardial contractility, and also cause a dilation of the coronary arteries and increase of the coronary blood flow. The antihypertensive action of Verapamil is connected with the reduction of the muscle tone of the peripheral arteries.
Directions for the use:
- prevention of stenocardia attacks
- treatment and prevention of supraventricular arrhythmia
- paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia
- chronic arterial hypertension
Also this drug can be used by the acute attacks of stenocardia, tachycardia, and hypertensive crisis. By the rapid relief of the acute symptom it is necessary to introduce the medication intravenously.
Recommendations for the use of the drug and dosage are individual for each patient. Conditions for the medication use are determined during personal communication with your attending doctor. Before using it is necessary to find out about all contraindications which may be in a patient in order to exclude the appearance of the side effects.
- the tablets of Verapamil should be better used during or after eating with a small amount of water
- the initial recommended dose for adults is 40-80 mg 3 times per day
- the maximal dose for adults is 480 mg per day
- children are prescribed individual dosage depending on the age of a child, his/her weight and severity of the disease
- the length of the treatment is determined for each patient particularly depending on the body reaction to the treatment
- it is necessary to carefully prescribe this drug patients with chronic heart failure I and II degree, expressed dysfunction of liver, and cardiogenic shock
- in case of the high sensitivity to the drug components it is contraindicated to take Verapamil
- it is better to refuse from this medication during pregnancy
- if it is necessary to use the drug during breastfeeding, it is recommended to use a bottle feeding.
© 2003-2017 Rx Meds Canada . All Rights Reserved